When involved in an auto accident, statistics show that there is a significant chance for you or someone you love to suffer serious injuries. Many of them do not manifest until later after the impact, and in these cases it is highly important to know what steps you should take. Moreover, even if you don’t suffer from physical injuries, the psychological effects of such accidents are long-lasting and they prevent many people from living a normal life. The psychological effects noticed by British researchers were: anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, and a series of phobias. However, whether you were guilty or not of causing the accident, you must get in touch with a car accident attorney and seek legal advice. Although car accidents have numerous health implications, their legal implications are even higher. To protect yourself in such situations, it would be best to seek professional help. However, let’s find out more about the health and legal implications of car accidents.
Physical implications of car accidents
Regardless of the force of the impact, in a car crash there are very likely to occur several injuries for all parties involved. However, their severity depends of several factors: the vehicle’s speed, if the car occupants were wearing seatbelts, the location within the vehicle, the place in which the impact occurred, if an airbag was present and so on. However, specialists outline few of the most common injuries that those involved in such events suffer from.
- Whiplash – this is one of the most common injuries in the case of car accidents and it is characterised by a damage of the soft tissue or bones in the neck. Thus, cervical injuries, injuries of the neck muscles or ligaments are common in such cases. The symptoms usually associated with whiplash occur as a result of the sudden extension of the neck, caused by the impact of a vehicle. Symptoms include: neck pain, stiffness of the neck muscles, headaches, dizziness, shoulder pain, and in some rare occasions, even memory loss.
- Traumatic brain injury – it usually occurs when the impact with a vehicle disrupts normal brain functions. These injuries oscillate from mild to severe, depending on the force of the impact.
Psychological implications of car accidents
The psychological trauma that might occur from a car accident has the potential to be debilitating, preventing many former car accident victims to perform normal day-to-day tasks, including using any type of vehicles to facilitate their transportation. The most common mental health issue that occurs as a result of car accidents is post-traumatic stress disorder. PTSD is a serious condition that is usually developed by people who suffer from a traumatic event in their lives. Shock, anger, guilt, mistrust, nervousness are some of the symptoms of this syndrome, and in most of the cases it interferes with the normal tasks an individual must perform of a daily basis.
Legal implications of car accidents
If you were a subject of a car accident injury, regardless of its nature, you can make a legal claim under the personal injury law. Any type of road users have the right to make a legal claim if they were in a similar situation, including motor bike riders, pedestrians, bus riders, car drivers or passengers, and so on. If you want to make a claim following such events, you must know that other person must have been guilty of causing it. Moreover, if you want to make a claim in such cases, you must follow some strict steps:
- You must first make sure, if your physical condition allows it, that all the parties involved in the accident are ok. If not, make sure that all victims remain still until medical help arrives. If there appears the prospect of an unavoidable hazard, remove all the victims from the car accident location. Wait for the police and ambulance to arrive.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident. Under the Road Traffic Act, all drivers involved in a car accident must remain at the scene and exchange insurance details with other parties, but most importantly, for identification by a legal organ in force.
- Proceed to gather all the information need for a claim. That includes gathering photos of the damaged property and of your injuries. Also, make sure that you record the name and address of all witnesses. This will help you in court. Make sure that you register all the details of any relevant third party. Make sure to write down the type of the vehicle, the colour and the plate numbers. If medical assistance is necessary, make sure to keep a strict record of all interventions you suffer, all the expenses involved by your recovery process as well as contact details of the physicians.
Regardless of the proportions of a car accident, it is highly relevant to seek legal advice. An experienced personal injury attorney will help you during the entire process and they will make sure that you will have a just outcome in court.