The internet has helped foster globalization, individuals from different part of the world enjoy the benefit of the ease of transactions the internet has brought. Business across borders has been greatly strengthened by the internet. The internet has even helped build romantic relationships between people from diverse nationalities. Hence, the place of the Internet in the Globalization movement cannot be over emphasized. But a major problem plaguing interaction over the internet is still the language barrier. Ina physical setting, when two individuals of different nationalities are to interact, they usually employ an interpreter. But over the internet, a business stand to lose potential clients due to the language barrier. As of today, there are two types of translators in use. They are:
- Automatic Translators
- Manual Translators
This is also known as machine translator, it uses software to translate text or speech from one language to another. On a basic level, the automatic translator performs simple translation of words in a documents from one language to another. The efficiency of the translated document can be greatly improved by the involvement of a human in the whole translation. An example of this is the popular Google translate that aids translation of text, documents and speech for a wide array of languages, another example is in IBM’s automatic translator which used a disc to store 170,000 word-for-word and statement-for-statement translations and it made use of a computer to query the database to find them at high speed. Other applications are in travel translations, a new device called “ili”, made by Japanese company Logbar, is looking to help translate sentences automatically in real without the use of the internet.
Advantages of Automatic translators:
- The translation process is fast; majorly because it is done on a computer. Hence, a large number of documents can be translated in a short period of time. Thereby increasing productivity, especially if the translation is just a part of a process.
- Google translate helps you identify languages; this is helpful because it is not all the time one may want to translate documents, sometimes all that is needed is to determine the language of a document in order to have an understanding of it source.
iii. It is cheaper than manual translators; most machine translators charge little or nothing for the translation services. And unlike manual translators you can translate various languages and work on a lot of document due to the speed over a short time at a low cost.
Disadvantages of Automatic translators:
- Automatic translators cannot tell the context of the speech or text its translating. This is particularly important, in that, cultures have unique ways of writing certain words, the written text may look similar but the overall context is where the generality of the meaning lies. Since the automatic translator translates word-for-word, there is a possibility of loss of information due to this.
- For confidentiality purposes, most people would not want their important documents in the hands of a computer. The computer could be infected with a malicious software that could leak the information to the wrong hands.
This is the common form of translation we know, human translators. It involves having humans that are fluent in multiple languages. The translator would have good understanding of the languages that are to be translated. The translators would go through the documents (or listen to the speech) and produce the exact replica in the target language. There has been a growing need for translators worldwide as most business owners are fighting-off the language barrier that is hindering them from harnessing business potentials in foreign countries. Due to these needs, individuals with multiple language skills are coming together to form legal translation agency to provide Language translation as a service to clients.
Advantages of Manual Translation:
- Unlike in automatic translation where the translation is done word-for-word, manual translation translates not just the words, but it ensures that the overall context is passed across in the target language too. Hence, no loss of information.
- Manual Translation can provide a more secure and confidential means for translating your important documents. Simply because computers are not involved, making it difficult for a third party to get hands on your documents.
Disadvantages of Manual Translation:
- It is costly. Unlike automatic translation that provides multiple language translation at a cheap price, manual translation may involve a client employing different individuals for different languages. Even if it’s a single individual with multiple language skills, the charge for multiple language translation would definitely be higher.
- It takes more time than the automatic translation. Unlike computers, humans cannot process a lot of information quickly.
In conclusion, there are two types of translation services, both of them have benefits. In order to enjoy these benefits, one has to be certain beforehand the results you want to get from the translation. If you only want a slight understanding of a document written in a different language, I will suggest automatic translation. But for in-depth knowledge of a speech or document, go for a manual translation service.
For more information, visit: Planet Veritas.