Even if you’re the cleanest person out there and you make sure that your house is spotless each and every day, this doesn’t mean that you can’t fall victim to the appearance of the dreaded household odors. Unfortunately, the sources of these unpleasant smells are numerous, being rather tough to combat them all. What you can and should do is to take the pressure off of your shoulders by installing a quality air purifier for odor removal. But do air purifiers really do a good job at removing these odors? Read this article to find out if this is an investment worth making or not.
Common Household Odors that You Will Be Confronted With
Every household, no matter how clean the owner tries to keep it, will eventually face unpleasant odors that come from some common sources. In this section, we will find out what are the common household odors that you might be confronted with, and we will learn what their sources are as well.
- Smoke – If there are smokers in your house, then you know just how unpleasant it gets when they smoke inside and the potent cigarette odor lurks in the air. No matter how much time you let the windows open for fresh air to come inside, the smell remains as it sticks to furniture, clothes, and everything else inside the room fast. Thus, a solution is needed to remove the odor completely as the smokers will most probably not stop their bad habit soon.
- Cooking smells – If you don’t eat only salads, your kitchen probably has a smell of its own as the odors left behind when you’re cooking delicious meals tend to stick. Of course, you can’t stop cooking to prevent the odors from invading the kitchen, and you can’t expect for an open window to fix the problem either. Thus, a more powerful and effective solution is required to get rid of the unwanted odors.
- Pets – You might love your pet a lot, but let’s face it, that animal leaves a nasty smell behind. No matter if you have a dog, a cat, a bunny, or any other animal, what’s for sure is that the pet tends to get dirty easily, the fur emitting an unpleasant smell in the room that the pet is playing or sleeping in. Also, let’s not forget about the fact that accidents can happen, especially when the animal is small, and it’s basically impossible to get rid of the awful odor all by yourself.
- Garbage disposal – Another common source for unpleasant odors in the house is the garbage disposal. This is no wonder considering how much food goes down it. While it’s true that you should routinely clean it with vinegar, baking soda, and hot water to ensure that the smell goes away, until the time comes for this maintenance task, it’s preferable to find an effective deodorizing solution to keep the kitchen pleasant to be in, not smelling like garbage.
- Mold – This unwanted guest makes an appearance in spaces where humidity levels are high, usually in the basement and in the bathroom. Mold is dangerous as it doesn’t only leave a musty smell that makes it unbearable to sit in the room but because it’s a direct health threat to those who suffer from asthma and allergies as well. It’s important to keep the mold spores out of the air you breathe, and you should also invest in a dehumidifier in order to keep humidity levels in check, preventing the appearance of mold altogether.
Air Purifier Technologies that Help Remove Unpleasant Odors
Not all air purifiers are equal when it comes to the removal of household odors. What separates classic air purifiers from units that effectively remove all odors are the technologies that the appliances feature. Thus, it’s important for you to buy the right air filtration system if you’re expecting for it to get rid of household odors. Take a look at the following lines to find out what are the air filtration system technologies that aid in the removal of common household odors.
Activated Carbon Filter
All air filtration systems that are specially designed for odor removal feature the activated carbon technology, coming either in the form of a full-fledged filter or a pre-filter. This filtration system uses chemical reactions to decontaminate the air and leave it odorless. As the air inside the room circulates through the active carbon filter or pre-filter, it undergoes absorption. This is the process that aids in the elimination of fresh air back in the room.
The activated carbon filtration technology might do an almost perfect job at removing odors from the air, but it still needs help for the results to be perfect. This is where HEPA filters come in, aiding as they ensure that even the smallest particles as removed from the air. Some of those small particles, for example, pet dander or smoke, are the ones that are at fault for the awful indoor odor, so it’s clear that an effective filtration is necessary, filtration that is delivered by a quality HEPA filter.
Conclusion – Is It Worth the Investment or Not?
As we have already stated, it’s important for the air purifier that you purchase and use in your home to come with the right technologies, more precisely to feature an activated carbon filter, a HEPA filter, or even better, both of these filtration technologies. As long as you buy the right type of air filtration system, you won’t deal with unpleasant household odors ever again, that’s a certainty. These devices have really come a long way, and they do deliver the performance that they promise, so you shouldn’t fear this investment at all. In conclusion, if you really want to get rid of all nasty household odors once and for all, you should confidently purchase an air purifier.