Most throat irritations are caused by viral infections. They are manifested by sore throat, itching, pain in swallowing. This situation is worse in the morning but improves during the day. The pain can be caused by pharynx, larynx and tonsils disorders. To relieve pain there are many natural methods used by our ancestors many years ago, but with time have been forgotten and replaced by drugs that contain many chemicals. Some of these remedies are gargle with salty water, hot tea, honey, lemon.
* Before trying these remedies you need to know what type of throat irritation you manifest. It can be a bacterial infection caused by a strep (Streptococcus infection) or a viral infection caused by a virus and the common one is cold or flu. In this situation taking antibiotics is not helping you and a natural treatment is indicated to relieve pain. But if the throat infection is caused by a bacteria sore throat will not pass away and it will persist, in this case going to a doctor to prescribe you an antibiotic treatment is indicated. Strep throat is another type of infection that can cause a lot of discomfort, and it too may require more than the classical home-made treatments.
* Natural treatments can vary from herbal preparations, teas and spices and their effects can appear immediately or after a few hours. Here are some of the most effective remedies to relieve the throat irritations:
* Cayenne Pepper (Capsicum frutescens): Powder ½ teaspoon in a cup of hot water and gargle every 15 minutes. You may swallow each time a tiny bit.
* Tabasco sauce: Use 10-20 drops in a glass of warm water and gargle.
* Apple Cider Vinegar or Pickle Juice Brine: Add 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar to a cup of hot water and gargle/drink it as hot as possible. Or heat up the pickle juice, like hot tea, sip it/ gargle.
* Herb preparation: Tea from 2 tsp. of Ulmus rubra bark or Marshmallow (Althaea officinalis) root in a cup water. Bring to boil for 10-15 minutes, then give some honey, lemon and a pinch of Cayenne pepper in it and use as a gargle/drink.
* Potassium Carbonate or Sodium Bicarbonate: Add ½ tsp. of Potassium Carbonate to a cup of warm water and gargle every 30 minutes.
* If sore throat persists after using natural remedies, you should visit your doctor, especially if you suspect strep throat. A real strep throat may have severe complications and you can notice these symptoms:
* Severe pain in swallowing;
* Sore throat persists for days;
* The pain reaches the ear;
* Lymph nodes are enlarged;
* The throat is covered with white patches;
* You have trouble breathing and sometimes dry cough;
* Inflamed small blood vessels can sometimes break when you cough, causing the blood to appear in saliva;
* Fever and headache.
Even though natural treatments can be very helpful to our health, reserches in this field are still going and scientists advise us to take care and consult with a doctor before trying a herbal remedy, because many side effects can occur if you take those plants in combination with a current treatment or if you not follow the appropriate dosage. Therefore, always be careful what plants you use, if you are not sure of a remedy consult a doctor and never deviate from the dosage instructions.