Relocating can be pretty difficult if you are not carefully planning all the details related to it, especially if the destination is far away from your current location. One of the biggest problems that people face when they are planning their relocation has to do with organizing all the belongings they need to take with them. In this article, you’ll get to know all the intricacies of sending your belongings to Australia. With so many immigrants coming from the United Kingdom, New Zealand, China, and Vietnam, Australia is one of the top choices when it comes to relocating. This is the reason why more and more information is required regarding the laws, regulations, and options that people have for sending their belongings to another country.
As for Australia, it is one of the many countries that is convenient for relocations. Moving an entire family overseas can take a while, so be patient and pay attention to all the details that could influence your relocation. The information found in this article is perfect for helping students who want to continue their studies abroad, business professionals who are traveling for career purposes or expats who are permanently moving to another country to move their belongings across the globe safely and effectively. Here’s what you need to know:
Local import laws
First of all, you should know that Australia comes with very specific regulations for local import. The belongings you are going to transport from your home country to Australia will be thoroughly verified and you might lose some of the contents of your boxes if you don’t pay attention to the items you can’t import to Australia. The reason why Australia has such strict regulations have to do with The Quarantine Department of Agriculture and Water Resources which decided exactly what are the items that can be brought to Australia in order to avoid any kind of damage to the environment.
Australia is very careful when it comes to avoiding the effects of a dangerous pest or disease, and the government is focusing on this factor when immigration is considered. The laws that Australia carefully applies to all people who come to this country cannot be obeyed. The access to the country is limited by these regulations and this is the reason why anyone should know exactly what they can transport to Australia. Luckily, transportation companies can offer consultancy services and assistance with belongings of all sorts. Any excess baggage will be carefully analyzed and the specialists will decide whether the boxes respect the law or not.
The Australian Quarantine
The Australian Quarantine involves checking the boxes with personal belongings which are sent to this country. Any item that does not respect the regulations is going to be seized and destroyed. It’s essential to follow the list because you’ll avoid spending additional money on the respective items. Some measurements might help you get all your belongings to the country if respected. Here’s what you need to know about shipping to Australia:
- You can’t bring any dairy products to the country unless these products are confirmed of any disease from the country you brought them. This shouldn’t be a problem since relocation is all about important belongings, and not foods, which represent the biggest part of the restrictions in Australia.
- Any type of live plant is entirely forbidden. If you have a favorite plant in your hometown, you’ll have to say goodbye to it because plants are not allowed for imports in Australia. The type of the plant is irrelevant – potted, bare-rooted, with roots or bulbs, they are all forbidden.
- Seeds and nuts are also part of the forbidden category. Cereal grains can also carry pests or other diseases. The same goes with nuts, popping corn or even pine cones.
- Meat products (besides the canned ones) are on the list of forbidden items. As in the case of dairy products, meat products can also carry diseases or pests which cannot enter the Australian territory.
- Products that contain CFCs or HCFCs are forbidden and will be destroyed when the belongings are verified.
- Anything that was in contact with soil must be sterilized and disinfected. In this category, you can include animal products, footwear products, clothing, sports equipment, camping equipment and any product that has been used outside for a long time.
- There are many more items that are entering this category and the only way to cover all of them is to check the official regulations launched by the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS).
Moving companies – conditions and prices
The next thing you’ll have to make sure of is that you choose a good moving company. The length of the transport will vary depending on the area you are coming from. Most transportations for belongings take around 8 weeks to complete, but there are services which can deliver the boxes much faster. Look here for detailed information on this topic – https://www.pssremovals.com/. Don’t forget that each company has its own rules. Not all moving companies can offer the services you need. The AQIS will seize anything that’s outside the limitations that are clearly set and stated. Some moving companies are going to check the boxes themselves to make sure that all your belongings respect the rules. Other companies will require you to declare all the items that are on the list of forbidden items.
Choosing a reputable international moving company is the best choice. This way, you won’t need to worry about the safety of your belongings or about delays. To make sure that everything will be alright and you’ll get the boxes on time, you have to select a company that offers a wide range of services and insurance. Removalists, also known as removal companies or movers, are the ones that could handle this task the easy way. Putting all the belongings in one single place and delivering it at the destination is easier compared to using other methods and it’s much more convenient for yourself.