Soy and almond milk bring a lot of benefits for your health, but there are also some negative aspects related to them. The important thing is to make the right choice for your health.
If we refer to a serving, soy milk has 110 calories, 10 g protein, 4 g fat, and 14 gm carbohydrates. Soy also includes 80 mg calcium, sodium, riboflavin, iron, as well as concentration of omega3 fatty acids, unsaturated fat and no cholesterol.
Soy Milk Advantages:
- No cholesterol, so it won`t contribute to heart problems
- A lot of protein and carbohydrates
- Lactose free
- Good for diabetics thanks to the large palette of carbohydrates
- It reduces fat that enters your body
- Protein casein free
- Isoflavones (a plant compound similar to the female hormone estrogen) reduce chances of cancer and osteoporosis, lower cholesterol, diminish the symptoms of menopause, and maintain the overall health.
Soy Milk Disadvantages:
- Many brands add more sugar and chemicals then recommended
- Intensive use can cause breast cancer and other cancers
- Isoflavones can contribute to leukemia, breast cancer and thyroid disorder
- When the soy milk is non-fermented, it contains a lot of Phytic acid that makes the body unable to fully absorb vitamins and nutrients
- Phytoestrogen (a plant compound resembling estrogen) generates higher risk of breast cancer in young women and can lead to early puberty in children
- Estrogen in soy milk is not healthy for babies
- Goistrogens can negatively suppress the functioning of the thyroid gland
- Soy milk can cause fever, wheezing and tiredness
Per serving, almond milk has 30-40 calories, 2.5-3 g fat, 1 g fiber, manganese, vitamin E and selenium. It also features vitamins and mineral, a lot of unsaturated fat, but also omega fatty acids.
Almond Milk Advantages:
- No cholesterol
- Contributes in repair and growth of the body
- Vitamin E play the role of an antioxidant
- Magnesium transform eaten food into energy and it leads to a better parathyroid gland functioning
- Selenium helps the immune system, as well as the reproduction and metabolism of the thyroid gland
- Potassium maintains good blood pressure
- Manganese enables the body enzymes
- Lactose free
- No artificial flavor
- Unlike soy milk, no boiling being involved in making the almond milk, there is no loss of minerals and vitamins
- Easy to be made and stored
Almond Milk Disadvantages:
- Not a good option for babies ( breast milk is best)
- Being a Goitrogen, it suppresses the thyroid gland, so it is not recommended for people with low thyroid functions.
Take into consideration all the facts presented above and make your own decision whether to consume soy milk or almond milk.