In case your house is infested with black mold, then you should know that it is one of the most harmful types of mold. It is scientifically proven that it leads to countless health issues for both adults and children. You already know that mold can cause you multiple health issues, but your greatest concern is if it can cause you problems during the pregnancy period. If you expose yourself, during this period to black mold, you can experience stillbirth or pregnancy loss. This article will try to focus on the effects this fungus has on your health, and the health of your unborn baby.
Is dangerous for pregnant women to expose themselves to mold?
The answer to this question is not a simple one, if you will ask the doctor, they will not be able to offer you a straight-forward answer. The fact is that it does not matter if you are pregnant or not, it is a great risk for your health to live in a house infested by mold. When you are pregnant, you have to think not only how it will affect you, but how it will affect your baby. There are two lives at stake and it is important to protect yourself. Your pregnancy will put a lot of stress on your body and you are more likely to experience health issues, then when you were not pregnant. The majority of women who are pregnant and are living in a house where mold is present experience fever-like symptoms on long periods of time.
There are times when pregnant women experience pneumonia and infections because they expose themselves to the fungus. Any infection or health issue that is related to mold can threaten your pregnancy, and you can experience complications during childbirth.
Studies show that the babies who are exposed to mold during infancy are more prone to experience asthma during their childhood. There are no studies to show if the babies who were exposed to mold when in the womb are dealing with later side effects, but doctors state that their health can be greatly affected.
Experts also state that the children who are living in environments exposed to mold can suffer from bleedings in the lungs. It is believed that the children who are exposed prenatal are predisposed to having the same symptoms.
The majority of pregnant women have no idea that they expose themselves to mold, because the fungus is hidden in their house. They experience the symptoms of intoxication, but they have no idea why they are feeling the way they do. They put all the symptoms on the way the pregnancy affects their body. You should know that spores of mold could be traced in many hidden spots. It grows on materials that contain cellulose, or in damp spots. Mold can be found in paper products, cotton fabrics or textiles, insulation material, wood items, organic debris, drywall, wallpaper, or carpets made from natural fibers. In case a room of your house experienced inundation, then there are great chances it to be infested with mold, even if you do not notice it. Mold growth is facilitated by humid surfaces.
How do you know if you were exposed to mold?
As stated before, in the majority of cases people are not aware that they are living in a house infested by mold. But, if you are sensitive to this fungus, then you will definitely experience some of the following symptoms, if not all of them.
- Sinus pressure or pain
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Nasal or chest congestion
- Worsening symptoms of asthma
- Frequent asthma attacks
In case you are pregnant and you are experiencing these symptoms, it is advisable to get to the nearest emergency room, because you may experience a complex health problem. If you have significant difficulty to breath, then it is advisable to call 911, because effort can highly affect your health or the one of your baby. If you think that mold may be hidden inside your house but you are not able to find it, then you can ask for the help of professional InchbyInch mold inspectors because they can check the house and see if it is infested with fungus.
Can you check by your own if your house is infested with mold?
It is advisable not to conduct the check on your own, because if you inhale mold spores you can experience complex health problems. If you ask your partner to do the test for you, you should inform yourself about what steps should be followed, in order to have a concluding result.
- You should make sure that both of you are wearing a breathing filter or a mask when you get samples.
- Protect your hands with gloves, because mold can cause irritations in contact with the skin. It is advisable to be dressed up in such a way your skin to not be exposed.
- After you are all dressed up in your gear you should cut 3 inches of clear scotch tape and place it on the surface where you think mold may be installed.
- Remove the tape and then place it into a zip lock bag.
- It is advisable to take samples from different areas of the house, from your basement, master bedroom and kitchen.
- Once you have the samples, you should send them to a local laboratory to test them, and offer you the results.
On the market, you can find kits that can help you test your house for mold, if you find one it will help you do the process easier.
Considering that mold is a fungus dangerous to your health, it is advisable to hire an expert to test the surfaces in your house, and to remove it. People do mold inspections once a year, especially when they have children running around the house, because this fungus can cause them multiple allergies and health problems. The best way to avoid the situation of having to treat a mold caused problem, is to prevent its appearance.